Veterans Day
first began as a commemoration of the end of World War I in 1918. “The Great
War” came to a close on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh
month, when an armistice went into effect between the Allied nations and
Germany. In the
ensuing decades, as American soldiers continued to be deployed overseas,
November 11 became a day to pay tribute to American veterans of all wars for
their patriotism, courage, and sacrifice. This Veterans
Day, we offer a prayer known for centuries to those who have ever found
themselves in harm’s way.
« St. Vartan
Cathedral: A Message to the World
The Soldier’s
Psalm
Through the
centuries, soldiers have prepared themselves for the dangers of battle by
reading Psalm 91—the “Soldier’s Psalm.” On Veterans Day, we offer this prayer
for all who have ever found themselves in harm’s way. Click here to visit our blog, and to read
Psalm 91—the “Soldier’s Psalm.”
THE SOLDIER’S
PSALM
1 He that
dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of
the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my
God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he
shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome
pestilence. 4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt
thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt
not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; 6
Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that
wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand
shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not
come nigh thee. 8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of
the wicked.
9 Because
thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy
habitation; 10 there shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come
nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he
shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. 12 They
shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13 Thou shalt
tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample
under feet. 14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him:
I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15 He shall
call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will
deliver him, and honour him. 16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him
my salvation.
This entry
was posted on Thursday, November 7th, 2013 at 6:40 pm and is filed under General Interest. You can follow any
responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or
trackback from your own site.
Eastern
Diocese of the Armenian Church of America
[publicrelations=armeniandiocese.org@mail180.atl61.mcsv.net]

Hiç yorum yok:
Yorum Gönder
Not: Yalnızca bu blogun üyesi yorum gönderebilir.