
The exhibition does not attempt to be comprehensive. It
only groups around some core themes a large number of Hungarian Armenian
objects of art, most of which are now presented for the first time at a public
exhibition. The themes are introduced by short descriptions, and the
juxtaposition of the objects in itself suggests a historical and thematic
thread, but – and this is our only, but serious criticism – precisely the
obscurity of this history and the ground-breaking character of the exhibition
would have required a catalog to present in detail the historical and social
context of these objects, persons and places.
The road leading through the over four hundred years of
history of the Armenians in Hungary starts at Mount Ararat, as the basic
reference point of post-flood humanity and especially of the Armenians, from
which the Armenians immigrating into Transylvania in the 17th century were
indeed far away. But the proof that they have preserved the memory of the
origins is the 19th-century silver belt, inlaid with gems, conserved at the
Armenian Catholic Parish of Budapest, whose pieces represent the vedutas of
ancient Armenian cities, Varaghavank, Van, Echmiadzin, Aghtamar (each image is
enlarged by moving the mouse above them).
In the middle of the room of the beginnings we are
greeted by the icon of St.Gregory the Illuminator, Apostle of the Armenians,
due to whose efforts Armenia became the first Christian country in 301. It is a
nice transition from the Ararat to the other, Transylvanian half of the room
that the icon of the 3rd-century bishop, preserved in the Armenian church of
Szamosújvár/Gherla was painted in a popular Transylvanian Baroque style, just
as his statue standing in the main square of the Armenian quarter of Isfahan
bears the traits of the figures of the Persian heroic epic.
The Transylvanian settlement is evoked by only a few
archival images and objects – hope chests and a couple of wedding medallions
from the Issekutz family – from “the four Armenian parishes”, Szamosújvár
(Gherla, Armenopolis, Հայաքաղաք–Hayakaghak), Erzsébetváros (Eppeschdorf, Dumbrăveni),
Gyergyószentmiklós (Gheorgheni), Csíkszépvíz (Frumoasa), primarily the first of
them, from whose church collections a great part of the exhibited material is
drawn.
The next room illustrates the history of Armenian book
printing with a large number of never exhibited books from Armenian collections
in the Carpathian Basin, including the world’s first printed Armenian bible and
Armenian textbook. This topic is also the apropos of the exhibition, organized
for the five hundredth anniversary of the publication of the first Armenian
printed book, the prayer book called Urbatagirk, “Friday Book”, printed by the
Venetian Hakob Meghapart (“the sinful James”) at the turn of 1512-13. The short
summaries at the display cases outline the history of Armenian typography. The
printing press of Hakob Meghapart was brought by his successor to
Constantinople, where in the 18th century they published about 300 works in
more than 20 Armenian printing houses. However, the Transylvanian Armenians,
who in the late 17th century united with the Catholic church, got the bulk of
their books from the Typographia Polyglotta of the Roman Propaganda Fide: by
the end of the 18th century we know 44 Armenian works published here. The
Mechitarist Order, founded in 1701 in Constantinople, and working from 1715 to
the present day on the St. Lazarus Island in Venice – the “Armenian
Benedictines”, the greatest exponents of armenology of the period – published
their Armenian books in Italian printing houses until the late 18th century,
but in 1789 they founded their own printing press, where they published
hundreds of books in nearly forty languages: these, due to the Armenian
diaspora, reached even the most remote provinces of the Ottoman Empire. In 1773
a group of the Venetian Mechitarists settled in Trieste, and in 1810 they moved
to Vienna, having an important scientific and publishing activity in both
places. A Transylvanian Hungarian printer also played a decisive role in the
history of Armenian typography. The most influential Armenian printer, Voskan
Yerevantsi founded his printing house in Amsterdam in 1660, and as he was
unsatisfied with the available Armenian fonts, he ordered the design of a new
Armenian font from Miklós Kis of Misztótfalu, which quickly spread throughout
Europe, and its various versions are still in use.
A separate room is dedicated, apparently due to the
richness of the material, to the monuments of the Armenian Catholic Church in
Transylvania, pontifical portraits, church dresses, votive and altar paintings.
The three portraits brought from Szamosújvár/Gherla do not necessarily
represent the three greatest personalities of the Armenian church, they could
have also chosen someone else, such as Bishop Minas Zilifdarean (1610-1686),
under whose leadership the Armenians migrate into Transylvania. These three
lives, however, well demonstrate the large social and geographical scope of the
Armenian intellectuals, and their possibilities of choice between different
cultural centers. The Moldova-born Oxendio Virziresco (Verzár) (1655-1715)
learned in the Propaganda Fide missionary college in Rome. After 1685 he worked
on the union of the Transylvanian Armenians with the Catholic church, first in
the midst of great resistance, but in the end with a complete success, and in
1690, after the end of Bishop Minas he became the church leader of the
Armenians in Transylvania. Stephano Roska (1670-1739) came from an Armenian
family of Kamenets-Podolsk. He was the Armenian provost of Stanislawów (now
Ivano-Frankivsk), and on behalf of the Armenian archbishop of Lemberg he
visited the four Transylvanian Armenian parishes, founding a number of important
religious societies. Mihály Theodorovicz (1690-1760) was born in
Bistritz/Beszterce/Bistrița, at that time an important Armenian settlement, and
he became from a shop assistant the Archdeacon of Szamosújvár. He built the
first Armenian stone church, the Salamon church (1723-25), and he introduced
the Gregorian calendar. Maria Theresa appointed him bishop, but eventually it
did not receive an ecclesiastical approval: it is since then that the
Transylvanian Armenian community has belonged under the Roman Catholic bishop
of Gyulafehérvár/Alba Iulia. Since the 1770s the cult of the Queen of the
Rosary was in flower in Szamosújvár, and her auspices were represented in a
number of votive paintings offered as a sign of gratitude for being saved for
some great trouble. On the images exhibited here, a horseman who escaped a
flooding, a family surviving a fire, and a woman recovering from illness say
thanks for the intercession of the Virgin Mary.
By the early 19th century the relations of the Armenians
with their former Crimean and Anatolian centers became loose, but the way of
ascension into the Hungarian bourgeoisie was open to us. They changed their
language for Hungarian, and among all the ethnic minorities they participated
in the largest proportion in the staff of officers and in the financing of the
1848-49 War of Independence. Two of the famous thirteen generals, executed in
Arad on 6 October 1849, Ernő Kiss and Vilmos Lázár were Armenians, and the
Armenian general János Czetz in exile became the founder of Argentina’s
military geographical institute, which under his direction charted all
Argentina. After the Compromise between the Austrian court and the Hungarian
political elite in 1867, the Armenians participated in large numbers in the
political and cultural life. The last room is a portrait gallery of their
prominent representatives. On the other hand, as a compensation for the
assimilation, the ideology of Armenism was born, with the goal of strengthening
the Armenian identity. Its followers started large-scale historical research of
Transylvanian Armenians, they launched the journal Armenia in Szamosújvár, and
in 1905 they founded in the city the Armenian Museum (which just now, in March
2013 received back its collection, nationalized in the 1950s). Eminent
representatives of Armenism, Kristóf Lukácsy and Kristóf Szongott also joined
the research of Hungarian prehistory, defending in several publications the
Hungarian-Armenian linguistic relationship. The show-case of the last room
presents a selection of publications on Armenian topics from the 19th and 20th
century.
The walls of the exhibition’s exit corridor are covered
with photos of Armenian families from the turn of the century, the documents of
everyday history. Hundreds of lives and stories that clearly show, how much
more to research is in this history. And in this sense the title of this photo
collection, Mirror fragments, is indeed valid for the whole exhibition.
http://riowang.blogspot.com/2013/07/far-away-from-mount-ararat.html












Hiç yorum yok:
Yorum Gönder
Not: Yalnızca bu blogun üyesi yorum gönderebilir.