On Sunday, November 17, Archbishop Khajag Barsamian, Primate
of the Diocese of the Armenian Church of America (Eastern), visited the Sts.
Joachim and Anne Church of Palos Heights, Ill., to mark the parish's 55th
anniversary.
***
PRESS OFFICE
Diocese of the Armenian Church of America (Eastern)
630 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10016
Contact: Chris Zakian
Tel: (212) 686-0710
E-mail: chrisz@armeniandiocese.org
Website: www.armenianchurch-ed.net
November 26, 2013
___________________
PALOS HEIGHTS MARKS 55 YEARS
On Sunday, November 17, Archbishop Khajag Barsamian, Primate
of the Diocese of the Armenian Church of America (Eastern), visited the Sts.
Joachim and Anne Church of Palos Heights, Ill., to mark the parish's 55th
anniversary.
Archbishop Barsamian celebrated the Divine Liturgy and
afterwards led a veneration prayer for the "Relic of St. Vartan the
Brave," which he had brought from the Diocesan Center in New York. The
relic—a gift of His Holiness Karekin II, the Catholicos of All Armenians—was
presented to the Eastern Diocese to honor the 45th anniversary of New York's
St. Vartan Armenian Cathedral.
As part of the service, the Primate presented parish pastor the
Rev. Fr. Tavit Boyajian with a floral cape in honor of the 20th anniversary of
his ordination into the holy priesthood. Archbishop Barsamian congratulated Fr.
Boyajian on this milestone.
Later that afternoon, the community gathered for an
anniversary banquet at the Hilton hotel in nearby Oak Lawn. Master of
ceremonies Rob Koshkarian welcomed guests and introduced the afternoon's
program. Sunday School students offered a joyful rendition of the sharagan,
Kohanamk ("We give thanks"), in Armenian and English.
The parish presented its "Lay Ministry Award" to
community leaders Jack Cholakian and Janna Simonian.
"It is always a joy for me to visit this
community," said Archbishop Barsamian. "The foundation of Sts.
Joachim and Anne Church was laid long ago, and it is through the hard work and
dedicated service of generations of parishioners that this community has grown
over the years. Today, it is the task of the new generation to take up the
responsibility of continuing this rich legacy in Palos Heights, and I am
confident that this parish is blessed with leaders of that caliber."
The Sts. Joachim and Anne Church was first consecrated in
West Pullman on November 30, 1958, and was re-consecrated in Palos Heights in
1983. The church serves a community that extends from Chicago's Southwest
suburbs to all of Northern Indiana.
Sts. Joachim and Anne's history began in the early l880s
when young men, mainly from the Turkish province of Kharpert and its villages
of Peri, Mazgerd and Pertad, arrived in West Pullman where they settled and
started families. Their numbers grew dramatically after the 1915 Armenian
Genocide.
In 1957, a suitable building was bought and renovated to
create a church edifice. The first Sts. Joachim and Anne parish sanctuary was
consecrated in l958. Soon afterwards, existing property adjacent to the
building was purchased, and through the dedication and generosity of its
members, all remaining debts were paid. By 1965, it was time to move the parish
from what had been a converted storefront sanctuary to a new home that was
specifically Armenian in architecture.
The second location of Sts. Joachim and Anne Church was just
next door to the first, and had its groundbreaking on May 30, l965. Work on the
building was completed in less than a year. On April 17, l966, then Primate
Archbishop Sion Manoogian consecrated the church and the hall. The new hall was
named after benefactor George Garabedian.
During this period, membership continued to grow with
renewed immigration of Armenians from the Middle East. Also, during this era,
demographic changes sweeping through Chicago were compelling enough to consider
relocation to a suburban site. Accordingly, the West Pullman property was sold
in l974. A new building committee was formed to execute plans for yet another
church sanctuary, this time in suburban Palos Heights.
During this third phase, the community built the Hovanessian
Cultural Hall, named after generous benefactors Dr. and Mrs. Raffy and Vicky
Hovanessian. Services were held there until the formal sanctuary was built and
consecrated in the spring of l983.
###
Photos attached.
Photo 1: Archbishop Barsamian leads a veneration prayer for
the "Relic of St. Vartan the Brave."
Photo 2: Sunday School students sing a sharagan.
PublicRelations [publicrelations@armeniandiocese.org]


Hiç yorum yok:
Yorum Gönder
Not: Yalnızca bu blogun üyesi yorum gönderebilir.