By
George Aghjayan
There
it was again… The destruction, the desecration, the humiliation at the
treatment of our sacred sites. And for what? A search for mythical gold? Gold
that is not there and never was.
The
remains of the church or chapelThe remains of the church or chapel On
the beautiful shores of Lake Van, my frustration had reached the boiling point
of extreme anger. So now I write again as the Angry Armenian.
On
this fourth trip in the last year to Western Armenia (my eighth overall), there
were positive experiences to offset the negative. This is part and parcel of
making such a trip: The emotional peaks are high and the lows deep. But on this
day, I was experiencing both in a way that heightened my sense of utter
frustration.
While
most of our group was climbing to the heights of the Surp Tovmas monastery, my
wife and I, along with Nora Hovsepian, chose to go further, to a cemetery I had
only previously seen from a distance.
Varents
was a small, entirely Armenian, village on the shores of Lake Van in a cove not
far from Akhtamar. At the time of the genocide, it had grown to 176 Armenians
in 31 households. The church with an adjacent school was possibly named Surp
Sdepanos. No village remains today, and has not existed since the genocide.
However, I could find very little written about the village. My usual sources
were surprisingly silent and any additional comments would be pure speculation.
Image
of the sailboatImage of the sailboat
What
I did find was a church in ruins and a cemetery with well over 100 tombstones.
Amongst the destruction, though, a few stones caught my attention and raised my
level of excitement. Within the church or chapel, a stone clearly had “Arakel”
written upon it. More names were on other stones.
Nearby,
I found a stone with “HS” and “KS” embedded within the finely carved cross:
Hisus Kristos. The name on the stone was Der Simon, and thus would seem to have
been for a priest of the village. Another rare find.
Finally,
there was the stone for a large family, which contained many names: Vartan,
Markar, Ghazar, Sarkis, etc. With difficulty, some years could be made out:
1896, 1897… I found it unusual that a sailboat was carved on it. While Lake Van
only has one type of fish, it seems that this family might have been fisherman
or at least associated with sailing on the lake. It could even be that those
listed on the stone were lost in a single boating accident.
The
gravesite of Der SimonThe gravesite of Der Simon
While
I was excited about these extraordinary finds, I was equally appalled that the
local shepherds or farmers had taken the opportunity to completely ruin the
church, while also digging up a number of the graves. It was clear that the
accessibility of the site had lent itself to such violation. And this sacred
site, with its extraordinary khatchkars, had been violated and violated and
violated.
On
this trip, more than any other, I heard from local Kurds about the shame they
felt at the condition of the Armenian churches and the desire to restore them.
I
will soon write about one particularly moving encounter of hope, but at the
same time my anger at the violation of this cemetery must be allowed its
release. The best I can say is that most of the destruction seems to have
occurred many years ago, and none of the graves had been freshly dug up. But
that does not mean the site is secure and that the remaining khatchkars are
safe.
Some
of the stones contained pleas from the deceased to be remembered. After 100
years and very few respectful visitors, my friends and I are attempting to
fulfill the last wishes of these people… Our People.
The
family gravestoneThe family gravestone
Whether
it is an old man urinating in the cathedral at Mren (which I also witnessed on
this trip) or the ruin of cemeteries, Armenian cultural sites deserve respect
equal to that which would be shown any other religious or cultural structure
(e.g., a mosque or Muslim cemetery). If even that is not possible, then how can
we expect respect for the rights of Armenians as a people? The proof is in
action, not words alone, and the time is now!
I
would like to thank my good friend, George Leylegian, for his indispensable
insights of the photographs I had taken, and his continued encouragement in
documenting our precious heritage.
http://www.armenianweekly.com/2014/06/12/angry-armenian/




Hiç yorum yok:
Yorum Gönder
Not: Yalnızca bu blogun üyesi yorum gönderebilir.